I think I almost single-handedly destroyed the Snakesite…
So now that Grad School is over and I have more personal time on my hands, I figured the Snakesite was due for an overhaul. It’s been almost 2 years since I last updated the site (both the design/graphics and the blogging software).
I’ve used WordPress since ‘06 when I started this whole thing. I don’t know what version I started out with (1.9?), but I made it up to version 2.6. They just came out with 3.0, so I figured what the hell, why not. I uploaded the new version, which is quite a feat using my interrupted 2-byte-per-second connection speed, and got everything running… right up until it “updated” my database and I got:
Awesome. The database, for those that were wondering, is where every post and every comment is. If that goes down, I lose almost 4 years worth of stuff. And I can’t just hit a button to upgrade it either. So… I saved what I could, made a new database area, and uploaded the info to there. You would think that would work (and I thought it almost did), but alas it was false hope. There were symbols mixed in to all the text on every post! Double awesome. So I go to log in to fix it all and I get this:
I tried putting the old software back on there (2.6) but still got a plethora of errors. I’m screwed! At this point, I can do one of three things: 1) call it a sunk cost and continue on like I just started blogging, 2) make like Astro, hang it up and say it had a good run while it lasted… and truthfully, I’m having a hard time getting motivated to post after my 2-year bout with Grad School, or 3) try to transcribe as much of the original as possible to keep it intact – after all, I have the old database that I can pull comments and posts from one-by-one.
*Sigh* I hate Facebook. I will never jump on that bandwagon. I started this site to keep people up-to-date with what’s going on with me and the fam, as well as telling an interesting story here or there. I guess by being in Italy, now more than ever, this site will come through with those objectives. So option #3 it is.
I’ve gotten enough done to re-launch the site; at least the front page with the most recent 10 posts looks like nothing happened. But over the next 6 months, I’ll be re-doing the entire archive, one post, one comment and one picture at a time (and then back-dating everything to the original dates). This sucks.
Perhaps there is an easier way, but in all my research online, I can’t figure it out. Besides, I’m just doing what the Army’s taught me to do in the past 3 years: if charging the castle wall doesn’t get you anywhere, then keep doing it until it does – brute force always wins out!
This sucks… I think the lesson learned is to back-up your data and withhold from diving right in.